[CANUFNET] tree protection

Whitton, Steve via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 17 14:37:10 EST 2017

Excellent points, Phillip and Julian.

I agree with Julian that cities have a lot of pressure to save trees during development but during the 8 years of enforcing Surrey's tree bylaw very definitely not every tree needs or should be retained.   That as arborists we should educate Council and Planning on trees and what is best for them and the safety of the people they would be putting around them.   For example if a "nice" tree is starting to decline before development it is very unlikely it will get better after development - one the water table has changed, the roots are cut and the site compacted with glacial till.    Especially our native deciduous trees in the lower mainland.

Also I agree about the comments on enforcement.   Having a tree bylaw without enforcement is 'just a good idea'.   At the City of Surrey, my section has 4 arborists that among many other duties enforce the tree bylaw.     We will fine/prosecute for barriers down/removed, removed trees without permits, bad pruning, damaging trees, burying trees, etc.  We have several ways for enforcement.   One is fines through our Bylaw officers -tickets for small offences (bad pruning) or going to court for larger issues like multiple tree removal without permits.

We will add permit fee penalties for infraction during development.  Also we can and will hold up permits (building or development) until fees are paid or an arborist mitigation report has been approved.   We will ask and get tree damage mitigated and use stop inspection or stop work orders to make sure the work is done.

It is possible to have a strong private property bylaw and enforce it as well.  Surrey is doing just that.   Doesn't make us the most popular section in the City though but that's ok.   When I became manager for this section, I was told the motto here was  - "We're not happy till you're not happy".    And for the people damaging trees in Surrey, we try very hard to make them less happy with their work against trees.

Steve Whitton
Tree and Landscape Manager
City of Surrey

Direct Phone: 604-591-4505