[CANUFNET] tree protection

Amelia Needoba via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Jan 18 13:58:24 EST 2017

Hi Michelle,
To add to what many others have said, the bylaw or policy is an important
piece but the actual administration and enforcement process is just as
important. From my experience working on the inside, the following process
can be reasonably effective regardless of whether or not you are
administering a private tree bylaw, or just a city tree protection and
removal policy:

   1. Arborist report and tree survey must be submitted with the initial
   application for subdivision, development, demolition or building permit.
   The report and tree survey must include all protected on-site
   trees/off-site trees whose tree protection zones cross into the subject
   site, and city trees of any size on the boulevards or within 4 m of the
   subject site property line.The report must provide adequate detail to make
   a judgement on retention suitability/SULE in the context of the proposed
   development plans (Surrey has great guidance on standards and content).
   2. The city arborist is referred the file at that initial application
   stage and provides comments related to retention value and tree protection
   to the planner on file at the same time as all other city departments.
   Conversations with planning and engineering are had about trees suitable
   for retention to check that redesign options are available within the
   zoning/servicing etc. bylaws and then the request is made for redesign to
   work around tree root zones.
   3. The design may be asked to work around a tree or, if for subdivision,
   a covenant may even be placed on title to prevent building on the root
   zone. Redesign requests may be made and the onus on coming up with the
   solution should be on the applicant's Project Arborist all while ensuring
   that the applicant is still able to achieve what is permitted under zoning
   and other city bylaws (acceptable practices may include things like
   adjustments to the foundation such as notches out of the basement level and
   first floor cantilevered over the root zone, blind form foundations to
   reduce the extent of over-excavation, relocation of services, building
   hardscape above grade and/or with permeable pavement, variances to
   set-backs/height/access/garden suite placement). In some cases, redesign
   won't be feasible/justifiable and removal may end up being the appropriate
   outcome. If removal is more often the outcome, other city policies may need
   to be amended to provide better options for tree retention.
   4. Once design is satisfactory for tree retention, protection and
   replacement securities are assessed and should be of an amount that
   reflects the value of the trees and functions as an incentive for
   developers to properly work around trees (i.e., a deterrent to damage).
   5. For city trees, taking the CTLA assessed value and i-Tree value can
   add up to very serious amounts and increase the financial incentive for
   retention. A bond for that value can be held for tree protection. If
   removal is going to be permitted, then the developer should pay the cost of
   removal and the assessed tree value to the city to fund compensatory
   planting at that location or elsewhere (acts as further incentive to work
   around city trees rather than assume they are disposable in the design
   process).
   6. Private tree protection and/or replacement securities, or city tree
   protection bonds, are held for a period of time and their release is
   attached to proof that the applicant adhered to planned protection measures
   and permit conditions as supervised and documented by a Project Arborist.
   If any non-compliance issues are observed, stop-works and fines are issued,
   and ultimately securities/bonds are partially or entirely kept (usually
   much larger amounts than maximum fines).
   7. Only once the securities are paid and the tree permit is issued are
   any other city permits issued for the development.

You've had some good bylaw examples sent your way already - for some
standards on what can and can't be done around city trees I'll add
melbourne's city tree retention and removal policy...
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/
Tree_Retention_and_Removal_Policy.pdf

Good luck with your process!

Regards,
Amelia.

*Amelia Needoba | Senior Urban Forester, PMP, ISA Cert. Arb*
3551 Commercial Street | Vancouver | V5N 4E8
Diamond Head Consulting <http://www.diamondheadconsulting.com/>
<http://www.diamondheadconsulting.com/> P *604.733.4886 <604.733.4886>** ext.
33* F *604.733.4879 <604.733.4879>*