[CANUFNET] tree protection

Astrid Nielsen via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Jan 18 22:09:02 EST 2017

Hi Naomi, Michelle, and all folks,

This is a great discussion - so many good points! Although in some ways
it's unfortunate that municipalities across Canada are experiencing so many
challenges, it's encouraging to see that so much progress has been done,
and many are thinking along the same lines.

Naomi, thanks for your reply to my email about the City of Ottawa Infill
guidelines. Here are a few comments to follow up with. However, I should
first point out that I am a consulting forester and do not work for the
City of Ottawa, so views are my own:). However, I did work at the City for
7 years and was involved in developing some of these policies, so I
 appreciate some of the challenges of trying to create the "perfect" policy
and related documentation.

- Tree protection fencing: the Critical Root Zone (CRZ) is to be identified
on the drawing, and it states that the protection fencing must be placed
around this area and approved prior to construction beginning. The CRZ is
10X the diameter of the trunk. For those of us familiar with construction
sites, we know that protecting the full CRZ is often not possible, but at
least it's marked on the plan to help illustrate the impact the
construction will have on the tree
- Valuing the trees prior to construction: this could be something that the
arborists/foresters hired to do the work could do, and it would be useful
for the applicant to have a sense of the tree value. These guidelines are a
good first step in encouraging developers to think about the trees earlier
on in infill development projects. When a new process or guideline is
developed, it's easy to have ideas of how it could be better, how it could
do more. But in a municipality, one has to consider that support from
council is needed to push things forward, and drastic changes are a hard
sell.
- Deposit: The $700 deposit is to ensure that a new tree gets planted in
the city right of way. If a city tree is already present, then it can be
used as a deposit to ensure that it isn't damaged during construction. If
it is, further fines can be imposed under the by-law. Again, it would be
ideal if the value of the tree could be collected as a deposit...perhaps
one day we will see this.

I hope this addresses some of your questions. As others have indicated,
policies and by-laws are really only as effective as those who implement
them, and this is a function of budgets and funding. Urban forestry is a
relatively young field in Canada, and there is still so much to learn an to
be done. It's frustrating but exciting at the same time! We've made
significant improvements in a short period of time, and as urbanites become
more environmentally, social, and health conscious, I see this trend
continuing.

Astrid

*Astrid Nielsen*
MFC, RPF, ISA Certified Arborist®