[CANUFNET] Appraisal of publicly owned trees

Brian Geerts via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Mon Jan 23 07:45:03 EST 2017

In Cambridge (Ontario) we

1)      Do you appraise publicly owned trees internally? Or is it done externally by a private consultant?

A: We do both; we have staff trained for appraisals, and in contentious situations we get a second appraisal from a private consultant

2)      Do you use the tree appraisal methods set forth in the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraiser’s Guide for Plant Appraisal, 9th edition? Or do you use another method?

A: We use the CTLA 9th edition

3)      Do you use the species ratings development by your regional plant appraisal committee? Or do you have species ratings specific to your city?

A: We use the species ratings developed for our region

4)      For municipalities in the Pacific Northwest, do you use the unit tree cost ($/cm2) provided by the regional plant appraisal committee in the 2nd edition of the PNW’s supplement? Or do you use another value?

A: n/a

5)      If you have adopted a unit tree cost ($/cm2) that reflects municipal labour costs, what value do you use?

A: As we are using a replacement cost method for the $/cm^2 rate, we add any additional labour (removal, stumping, administration, etc.) costs outside of tree replacement onto the total.

Brian Geerts
Manager of Forestry & Horticulture
City of Cambridge

This communication is confidential and may contain information protected by Privacy
legislation.  Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone.