[CANUFNET] Research Project on “Measuring Footprint of Urban Forestry in Canada”

Darren Platakis via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Jun 22 15:02:14 EDT 2017

Good afternoon Yuki,

You may already have this information as I believe we are listed on the
Urban Forestry Stewardship Network site (or we used to be - not sure why
that changed), but I would like to direct you to treeOcode Niagara
<http://www.treeocodeniagara.com> - this is a project of my non-profit
organization - Geospatial Niagara <http://www.geospatialniagara.com> - we
are using OpenTreeMap to collect data about the urban forest canopy. You
can see the map here <https://www.opentreemap.org/treeocodeniagara/map/>. -
The current inventory in the program calculates over $1.5 million dollars
in eco-benefits yearly to the Niagara community and more specifically the
City of St. Catharines.

The goal is to promote the eco-benefits of urban trees but to also
incorporate the collected data into educational materials for schools and
to promote the use of geospatial technologies. Recently we used remotely
sensed multispectral imagery to classify the forest canopy for the City of
St. Catharines. I have attached that image to this email.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.[image: Inline
image 1]

Warmest Regards,

Darren Platakis
BSc., GIS(PG), FRCGS