[CANUFNET] Looking for advice on metal in trees and trees on slopes

Naomi Zurcher via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Jul 28 04:20:56 EDT 2017

Dear Astrid:

I agree with your approach. Whatever parts of the metal basket have not been incporporated into the tree should be removed with great care so as not to use any method or attempt any cuts that would injure the bark. Using a very good metal saw, I would begin by removing the basket thus reducing the overall weight. Make sure the entire is secured so as the cuts are made, they do not impact on what's remaining with the potential of causing damage to the tree. The rough, raw ends remaining can be dealt with by using a small metal file that can really round the edges while, again, doing no damage.

If you can cut away the heads of the screws by bending out those heads, exposing the screw shank and then sawing it through without causing any bark damage, I would do that also as it will give the tree less to deal with down the road.

Hope this helps.

As to root development in sloped situations, you might google it. I'm sure you will find a large number of articles / research when you do.  Also, be sure to try googling with the species name as different species might have variations in how they do this - of course, combined with the soil - its structure, etc.

Have a great weekend
naomi