[CANUFNET] Looking for advice on metal in trees and trees on slopes

via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Jul 27 21:41:00 EDT 2017

I’d cut the basket off where the metal meets the wood, and not worry about the metal inside the tree.  The tree will grow over the remainder with no effect on the tree.  If you were to cut the tree down, oaks (it looks like a bur oak) will have some blue discolouration in the immediate area around metal objects, but they aren’t harmed by it.

I don’t have a reference for the roots, but the roots that grow on the uphill side will be very large compared to the ones on the lower side in my experience.  If you cut the upper side roots the tree could fall over immediately.  It’s happened to me.  If they are just impacted and not cut immediately, they could rot from being damaged and the tree could fall downhill within a few years.

Stephen Smith
ISA Certified Arborist, Urban Forester
Urban Forest Associates