[CANUFNET] Eco-benefit Calculations

Darren Platakis via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Aug 22 11:46:23 EDT 2017

Good morning,

I am working with a number of educators to create an exercise with respect
to the eco-benefits of urban trees based on collected data. I am aware of
programs like i-Tree as it is the back end to OpenTreeMap which is the
basis for my treeOcode Niagara <http://www.treeocodeniagara.com> project.
Unfortunately though, when exporting data out of OpenTreeMap, it does not
append the eco-benefits of the trees in the export (which would be a HUGE
value add if it could be accomplished).

I am searching for very basic calculation formulas that students in Grades
6-8 could put into a spreadsheet with respect to CO2 absorption, storm
water filtering, and energy conservation, given the diameter and species. I
understand there are incredible complexities within the calculation, but
there should be something out there that can engage students on a
rudimentary level.

Any/all information would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Darren Platakis
BSc., GIS(PG), FRCGS