[CANUFNET] Individual Standing Tree Carbon Sink Inventory Calculation?

Gary Woloshyniuk via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Sep 15 17:07:52 EDT 2017

Dear fellow CANUFNET members:
I am in the process of setting up a protocol for determining the carbon
sink potential of our urban forest in Edmonton. We have used UFORE and
Stratum in the past to generate community sink statistics for the pollutant
absorption potential  for our green space, but in this particular case we
need to determine the potential carbon sink value for our boulevard trees
(ornamentals) - individual trees. We have a detailed inventory for our
thousands of individual trees over which we have control and are owned
specifically by the City but realize we can't use a greenspace model to
generate the carbon capture value of our individual tree counts (tree
density considerations are different).

Are any of the CANUFNET membership familiar with any protocols used in
other municipalities that define how to calculate the annual carbon sink
for individual tree counts? We have looked at Tree Canada's "Average
Canadian Tree" value of 2.5 kg/tree/yr (urban) and 2.8 kg/tree/yr (rural)
and this would make life really simple to calculate the annual sink
contribution, but I'm wondering if there is a more rigorous calculation and
related reporting protocol being used for GHG inventory reporting processes
that we could use.

Sincerely,
Gary

> --

<http://www.edmonton.ca/>
*Gary Woloshyniuk | P.Eng. | Energy Transition Technical Analyst*

Energy Strategies | Economic and Environmental Sustainability | Regional
and Economic Development
9th Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 - 104 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4
t 780-496-5994 <(780)%20496-5994>| e gary.woloshyniuk at edmonton.ca
<first.last at edmonton.ca>
www.edmonton.ca/TheWayWeGreen  Energy Futures Lab Fellow
http://energyfutureslab.com
Check out what we are up to* - subscribe to our monthly updates
<http://www.industrymailout.com/Industry/Subscribe.aspx?m=28731>!*
<http://transformingedmonton.ca/?utm_source=coe&utm_medium=footer&utm_campaign=socialmedia>
  <https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton>
<https://www.facebook.com/cityofedmonton>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/CityEdmonton?utm_campaign=socialmedia&utm_source=coe&utm_medium=footer>

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/city-of-edmonton/careers?trk=top_nav_careers>

*We are one city/ We are proud to serve the public/ As stewards we lead/ We
do as we say/ I make a difference everyday!*