[CANUFNET] Planting door hangers

Giroux, Paul via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Dec 7 10:58:39 EST 2017

Hello Steve,

At the City of Windsor, we leave the home owner with two pieces of information regarding the planting of trees in front of their homes.

The first, is a general tree planting letter (see attached) that is left in their mailbox approximately 3 to 4 weeks prior to planting. The intent of this letter is to inform them on the procedures of the tree planting, identifies who is the owner of these trees and who will be maintaining them. It also encourages a partnership approach to the care of trees. This letter also provides the home owner with a small window to decline the planting work order. Currently, if the home owner does not want the tree, we do not force a tree on site. This approach is much better then removing the tree, post planting.  Offering this 'choice' to the home owner may change in the near future, but for now, this is the model that has been in place for years.

Once the tree is installed by the tree planting contractor, they leave a door hangar with additional information about the watering and protection of trees along with the species of the tree which was planted.

Good luck with your tree planting program review Steve.

Paul Giroux, RPF
City Forester/Manager of Forestry and Natural Areas
Parks Department
2450 McDougall Street, Windsor, ON  N8X 3N6
Office: 519.253.2300. ext. 2760.