[CANUFNET] Elms and breakage

reginald eddy via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 9 17:19:51 EST 2018

Hi Alison,

I have heard from many sources that the Princeton elm is notorious for having very weak unions. I’ve seen photos of the trees literally peeling down the center. I was in southern England on an urban forestry tour which included a walk through a new residence development. The tour guide explained that they had fully replaced all of the Princeton elms with some sort of hazel because the elm’s structure required too much maintenance for it to remain acceptable. As for all of the other types of elm you mentioned, I do not know.

Hope this helps!

Reginald Eddy
3rd yr. UBC Urban Forestry undergrad student