[CANUFNET] Elms and breakage

Michael Richardson via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Jan 9 17:23:22 EST 2018

Without seeing them I have no idea what you are seeing.  Are you seeing
breakage of limbs or unions?  Clusters of limbs breaking out? What are the
unions you are seeing?  Y vs. U?  With branch bark ride or without?  With
or without cracks?  Cracks on one side or two?  With bark inclusions or
without?  With cup unions or without?  With "ears"or without?   What
combination of these?

My gut says that 15 cm DBH elms that have never been pruned have been
"topped" in the nursery at 7.5 foot to encourage a "head" which results in
multiple branches arising from adventitious and epicormic buds within a
very short vertical and circumference area.  This results in a very poor
structure that is destined for failure as limbs have reduced safety
factors as the cross-sectional area holing them is far less than the
cross-sectional area of the limb above the union..

Michael