[CANUFNET] jpm tree to canufnet

JPM TREE SERVICE via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Thu Jan 11 13:17:52 EST 2018

Alison,

Funny you mentioned the trees on The Hill. I was talking about the White House, Andrew Jackson, southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) the other day. It was discussed on the American Society of Consulting Arborists [ASCA] listserve. That tree is on the front and back of the $ 20 bill (the tree is to the left of the entrance). It may be the most recognizable tree on earth with literally billions of impressions in monetary circulation. The tree needs major pruning and might be cut down altogether. Melania or Donald with advisement from the National Arboretum will have to make the final decision on its retention or removal.

This got me thinking about trees at the Parliament Buildings, or lack thereof. We don’t seem to have many (see pdf). You mentioned the Accolade Elm (Ulmus ‘Morton’ Accolade TM), an Asian Hybrid and, curiously, Society of Municipal Arborists’ [SMA], 2012 Tree of the Year. That’s something. The Accolade’s parents are Ulmus japonica and U. wilsoniana. Apparently the Morton Arboretum, elm improvement program got this tree going in 1972. Maximum dimensions seem to be about 40 W x 60 H ‘. It’s a Zone 4.

I think that Micheal has the right idea (sorry I don’t know where you’re coming from Micheal, if could add your position / company / municipality, etc for future emails, that would be great).
There is a good likelihood that this cultivar has been topped at the nursery with resultant multiple leaders. If the leaders are not selectively thinned, then the best and the worst are left to grow and compete against one another. As Shigo has said, start training a tree when you plant it.
Who knows, the Accolade may be the new Bradford Pear tree (Pyrus calleryana), infamous for its weak branch structure. It’s also the 911 Survivor Tree.

Best,

John Martyn, Consulting Arborist
JPM Tree Service
Coquitlam, BC