[CANUFNET] Tree Inventory Software

Shane Tillapaugh via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Jan 19 18:51:36 EST 2018

Hello fellow CUFN listserv subscribers,

The City of Courtenay (on Vancouver Island, British Columbia) Parks
Division has recently begun to devote more resources to the management of
trees in our city.  This has included the creation of a City Arborist
position a couple of years ago, and more recently we have undertaken a
street tree inventory (+/- 2,000 specimens).  As you might observe, our
urban forestry program is in its infancy.  The inventory of our street
trees has constituted a giant leap forward for our program.  We can now
view our trees and their attributes using ArcGis mapping software.
However, tree attributes are not easily updated, we cannot easily produce
reports reflecting the condition or composition of our trees, nor can we
easily produce work orders from the inventory data.  Furthermore, we would
also like a flexible suite of software options to assist in our management
and care of the mature forest interface throughout our municipality.  We
are currently researching options for map based tree inventory software
that also has an integrated work management system.  So far I have looked
into TreePlotter and ArborPro and both seem to meet most if not all of our
needs.  Any information on your municipal experiences with these or other
software would be much appreciated.

Thanks kindly,

Shane Tillapaugh

City of Courtenay