[CANUFNET] Update from Urban Forestry 2020-- What do Students Think About a Career in Urban Forestry?

Bardekjian, Adrina via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Fri Jan 19 12:06:20 EST 2018

Please circulate widely.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80/images/89b16b49-f17b-4550-9877-793e8735d22f.jpg]

Subject: Student Survey Results from Urban Forestry 2020.<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=93a6b947bb&e=a6b8552aa9>

Dear State Coordinators for Urban and Community Forestry,

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80/images/5fe0eca2-ac82-4210-8bb3-8ce895dbd3f0.jpg]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=eb3c9d7ff4&e=a6b8552aa9>

Our final infographic is here. We are once again requesting your assistance in disseminating results from Urban Forestry 2020. As you know,Urban Forestry 2020<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=2884b9d1d1&e=a6b8552aa9> is a multi-institution project funded by the US Forest Service on the recommendation of the National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council. Attached you will find the next installment in our infographic series highlighting findings of our work that we believe will be useful to urban forestry stakeholders.

We conducted a survey of over 1,000 university students across the United States and to understand their views of urban forestry as a profession. “What do Students think about a Career in Urban Forestry<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=b576716afb&e=a6b8552aa9>?”gives insight into opportunities to diversify efforts for recruitment into the profession and is now available on our website. Could you please distribute this information through your statewide networks?

Previously Distributed Infographics

  *   Infographic #1: “Who Manages Urban Trees and Greenspaces for Local Governments?<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=14264f741e&e=a6b8552aa9>”
  *   Infographic #2: "Job Opportunities for Urban Foresters in the United States<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=59b2ef5c75&e=a6b8552aa9>"
  *   Infographic #3: “What are US Employers Looking for in an Entry Level Urban Forester?<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=ef28649d6f&e=a6b8552aa9>”

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-forwardtofriend-48.png]<http://us16.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=27d9f816c7&e=a6b8552aa9>

Forward<http://us16.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=27d9f816c7&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-facebook-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=2ae96f6aa8&e=a6b8552aa9>

Share<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=8c966fb3f6&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-twitter-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=8c7c31fcbd&e=a6b8552aa9>

Tweet<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=c89b5c1e5f&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-linkedin-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=ef16de2b41&e=a6b8552aa9>

Share<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=923c150d9c&e=a6b8552aa9>

Background of Urban Forestry 2020
Over the past four years we have used a multi-pronged approach to investigate the status of the urban forestry profession in the United States with the intention of providing research-based recommendations to the US Forest Service on building capacity for urban forestry practice. Particular emphasis has been directed towards the relationship between the urban forestry profession and higher education. The discovery phase of the project included literature reviews, focus groups, personal interviews, scientific surveys, and meetings with a national steering committee comprising leaders from many professional sectors that work with urban forestry issues.

What’s Coming Up
Results from these studies are now emerging in the form of journal articles, reports, and infographics, like the one we are asking you to share here. There is more information to come—research results that can help inform strategies for the advancement of urban forestry. We will be releasing all findings and strategic recommendations from Urban Forestry 2020 in the next few months, so look for more infographics, reports, and analyses to be emerging. There are many conversations that we, in the urban forestry community, have the opportunity to hold in the coming year. We hope the products from Urban Forestry 2020 will contribute to these conversations and look forward to the continued growth of the urban forestry profession.

Thank you for helping us distribute this information and, of course, feel free to contact me with any thoughts or questions.

Regards,
Susan D. Day
Associate Professor and
Project Lead for Urban Forestry 2020

Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

sdd at vt.edu<mailto:sdd at vt.edu>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-light-forwardtofriend-48.png]<http://us16.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=27d9f816c7&e=a6b8552aa9>

Forward<http://us16.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=27d9f816c7&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-light-facebook-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=35235480f3&e=a6b8552aa9>

Share<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=9a17c219e9&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-light-twitter-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=b5ea2bab15&e=a6b8552aa9>

Tweet<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=3c6e20f8b6&e=a6b8552aa9>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-light-linkedin-48.png]<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=4ec020b266&e=a6b8552aa9>

Share<https://frec.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=9a1dc2cdbc&e=a6b8552aa9>

Copyright © 2018 Urban Forestry 2020, All rights reserved.
This email has been sent to all State Urban Forestry Coordinators.

Our mailing address is:
Urban Forestry 2020
310 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, Va 24061

Add us to your address book<file://frec.us16.list-manage.com/vcard%3fu=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&id=07de50bc88>

[Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=5ec60b0e5b9d871ee64929c80&afl=1>