[CANUFNET] Tree Inventory Software

Russell Eirich via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Mon Jan 22 11:42:17 EST 2018

HI Shane,

The City of Regina uses the ArcGIS platform for its tree inventory. We ‘ve been using this platform for about 3 ½ years now.   Within that platform we use the ESRI’s Collector app on iPad technology right at the crew level for our data collection.  It was an in house solution created with some help from our IT staff and was relatively inexpensive as our city uses the ArcGIS platform corporately.

Tree Crews record daily work on each tree right onsite.   They can see previous work that has been completed to the tree as well as take and access photos for record keeping purposes.  (Right now it is only set up to track for up to 3 work cycles).   From a work management point of view  we can also follow what has been done at an individual tree level  or track by work type at a macroscopic level.  All practically live time.   When the crew submits I can see it at my work station almost instantaneously if I wish.   Ex storm damage,   scheduled pruning,   service call pruning all by type of crew.   Illustratively  I did do this this past October 18 and tracked our storm damage work progress every couple of hours or so.   From that I could compare locations and work done to the call coming in from residents.   It was the first time we did this and was neat to watch.  It made me feel rather comfortable that we were responding well.

Currently of our 176,00 trees that we think we have – we have approximately 76,000 street tree pieces inventoried.  We also track vacancies on our street trees and have found that overall we seem to be about 71% stocked.  We also have but in a high level calculator working in the back ground so we can get some initial analytics of the value of our urban forest as an asset (individual tree and forest as a whole.  Point is that ESRI can do this for you its just how you think at approaching it and query what you want to do.

For 2018 – we will start to approach of inputting our capital “P” park trees.  This will help us gain a more comprehensive view of the urban forest beyond street trees.

I am pleased with the ArcGIS solution.

Best Regards,
Russell

Russell Eirich
Manager, Forestry,Pest Control & Horticulture
Parks and Open Space Department.

P: 306-539-1480
Email:  reirich at regina.ca<mailto:reirich at regina.ca>

[cid:image001.png at 01D14A00.AA3BDB80]