[CANUFNET] City of Coquitlam - Tree Worker 2 job posting

Selk, Caresse via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Wed Mar 21 19:06:49 EDT 2018

Good afternoon,

The City of Coquitlam is currently looking for a Tree Worker 2 to join the Urban Forestry and Park Services Section.

TREE WORKER 2

The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in B.C. with home to more than 141,000 residents.  Our municipality continues to grow through development of our green spaces, arts & culture, urban design and state-of-the-art transportation systems.  Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.

The City of Coquitlam seeks a high energy and skilled tree worker who can help us manage a rapidly increasing tree inventory in the fastest growing City in Metro Vancouver.

This is manual work in pruning street and park trees from the ground, from ladders and climbing using hand tools and power saws.  The work also involves tree removal, tree planting and the application of integrated pest management treatments as directed.  The work is often hazardous and is performed under direction.  An incumbent exercises some independence of action in the technical functions of the work and receives assignments from a superior who checks the work during progress and upon completion for attainment of desired results and maintenance of required safety practices.

The requirements are:  Considerable knowledge of the methods, tools, equipment and safety precautions related to the work;  Ability to perform pruning tasks on street and park trees from the ground and from ladders and climbing in the canopy;  Ability to exercise proper safety precautions in the performance of the work;  Ability to work outside and perform strenuous physical labour under all weather conditions;  Ability to provide work oversight to contractors and to assist in training coworkers;  Ability to maintain simple records related to the work;  Skill in the use and care of the various hand and power tools used in the work;  Skill in the operation of a chipper;  Completion of the tenth school grade and completion of a recognized training course in structural tree pruning, plus some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;  Certification through the Industry Training Authority as an Arborist Technician; Class 5 Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.

A criminal record search is required from short listed candidates.  The CUPE hourly rate is $30.88 per hour (2018 rate).  Please apply online by 5:00 pm, April 2, 2018.

Please visit http://www.coquitlam.ca/city-hall/career-and-volunteering/career-opportunities.aspx for more information.

Caresse Selk | Urban Forestry and Park Services Manager
City of Coquitlam - Parks, Recreation & Culture
500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam BC V3K 7B6
T: 604.927.6330 | cselk at coquitlam.ca<mailto:cselk at coquitlam.ca>