[CANUFNET] Help for Research Project - tree inventories

Alessandro Ossola via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Mon Oct 15 23:24:00 EDT 2018

Dear CANUFNET Colleagues,

The Centre for Smart Green Cities at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia is leading a 5 year project aimed to measure the resilience of urban vegetation to climate change, drought and heatwaves (https://www.whichplantwhere.com.au/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4Jv4C3QNl1SmrngETDoNId?domain=whichplantwhere.com.au>). The project is supported by Hort Innovation Australia and the NSW Government.

A module of our project aims to model realised and potential climatic niches of urban tree species by using bioclimatic models and urban tree inventory data from Australia and globally. As such, we are collating tree inventories from cities worldwide to create and validate statistical models. This data will be exclusively used to feed our models and aggregated at 1 km2 resolution. Data won't be circulated to any third party outside Macquarie University.

We would appreciate if you and Colleagues could share tree inventories of your city, town, etc., particularly if these are not already published in an open data format online. At this stage, we only need the geographical coordinates of stems and species information in a GIS format (e.g., shapefile). Even partial inventories are useful to us, as data will be aggregated anyway.

We would be grateful if you could contact our Research Assistant Ms. Malin Hoeppner (malin.hoeppner at mq.edu.au<mailto:malin.hoeppner at mq.edu.au>) or myself to provide data or request any additional information.

We appreciate any help on this matter and support to our research project.

Kind Regards,
Alessandro Ossola, PhD

Latest publications:

Ossola, A., Schifman, L.A., Herrmann, D., Garmestani, A., Swartz, K., Hopton, M., 2018. The provision of urban ecosystem services throughout the private-social-public domain: A conceptual framework. Cities and the Environment, 1:11, art.5.

Alessandro Ossola, PhD
Research Coordinator
Centre for Smart Green Cities
Department of Biological Sciences
Macquarie University
Building E8B, room 321
North Ryde, Sydney, NSW, 2109, Australia
Email: alessandro.ossola at mq.edu.au<mailto:alessandro.ossola at mq.edu.au>
T: +61 (2) 9850 4487
Skype: ale.ossola
Tweet @lessandrOssola

[Macquarie University]<http://mq.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider 00002J. Think before you print.
This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete the message and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie
University and its controlled entities.