[CANUFNET] London Plane trees and asthma

Naomi Zurcher via CANUFNET canufnet at list.web.net
Tue Oct 23 07:15:32 EDT 2018

Hi Verna:

Was also wondering what the intent of the research is? Since the way you have phrased your question would lead me to believe you don’t know that pollen doesn’t cause asthma, I am wondering about the quality of the research you might have found to date.

As I mentioned in my first posting, referenced below, asthma is often used as an excuse to not plant trees in disenfranchised neighborhoods where the incidence of asthma is high, usually caused by the siting of such known air polluters as factories, electric plants, etc.

Thanks
Naomi

"The prevalence of asthma among disenfranchised communities has often been used as an excuse to not plant trees in these neighborhoods, thus compounding the problem’s instigation.

Asthma is caused by pollutants and can be exacerbated by pollen. Pollen is not a CAUSE of asthma. If you are doing research into this, you should be aware of the cause of the problem so you are able to evaluate papers that discuss the problem

I live in a city that has a very large population of Platanus x acerifolia and there is no indication whatsoever of a high incidence of asthma."