[CANUFNET] Tree roots in sewer lines

Naomi Zurcher treerap at sprintmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:40:32 EDT 2019

Hi Lindsay:

As usual, the problem lies not with the tree but with the hardscape - in this case the sewer line or pipe. If roots have accessed the inside of the sewer line, there must be a crack that has facilitated the incursion. The problem will not be mitigated going forward unless the hardscape issue has been resolved.

If root pruning is to take place or work which can potentially damage the tree’s roots be undertaken, the Bylaw MUST include that the City has oversight of its property and that any root pruning or remedial work be performed by someone who has the experience to do the work and is responsible to the City as the tree in question is City-owned.

I would include a spec appended to the Bylaw so that the work is not done in an arbitrary fashion. The spec should include protocols and procedures for accessing the roots in question, preferably using pneumatic excavation, as well as how the roots will be cut and the landscape restored so that the remaining roots can regenerate. Any and all root pruning must also assure that the structural integrity of the tree will not or has not been impaired.

I would require that any sewer line work to resolve the damage insure that the tree and its root system will be protected from the work as well as any staging of work.

Regards
Naomi