[CANUFNET] Tree roots in sewer lines

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Fri Apr 12 09:11:35 EDT 2019

The issue of roots in sewers is not only a legal issue but a construction
issue.  While a municipality may wish to preserve trees they cannot
specify methods to excavate and prune roots that are not supported by law.

In Ontario replacement of sewer lines after trenching is construction and
it must comply with Ont. Reg. 213/91 - Construction Projects.
Specifically sections concerning excavation, starting at S.222 must be
followed.  One would think that the construction firm excavating and
repairing/replacing a pipe would be responsible for correct methodology
but the arborist also has strict duties imposed upon them.

While arborists and urban foresters may be concerned about trees they have
a legal duty to protect workers and their methodology must reflect this.
Digging a trench and hopping in is illegal and dangerous.  I know of three
deaths in 2018 in which workers were killed when the trench walls
collapsed.  Knowing the H&S regulations that apply to the job you are
doing is mandatory and sensible.

Michael