[CANUFNET] Tree roots in sewer lines

Alexis Wiessler alexis.wiessler at live.ca
Wed Apr 10 19:58:33 EDT 2019

Hi Lindsay,

I generally feel that bylaws are best left a little less specific with room for City arborists to make a judgement call. I agree with Naomi that a blockage likely requires a repair to the line itself. In Surrey, only certain arboricultural contractors are permitted to do any work on City-owned trees. That could be a solution, so that no matter the specific issue, Kitchener can simply narrow down the list of people who are allowed to complete the work, whatever it may be. This way, contractor meets City specifications for insurance, and can assure best management practice. This looks different if you are dealing with private property trees, if they are protected in your municipality.

Best,

Alexis

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.