[CANUFNET] large tree moves

james urban jimtree123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:01:07 EDT 2019

The trees at the World Trade Center Memorial had issues at first but then recovered.  But also note that there was a significant die off of the tree along the Fulton Street side of the massive fountain where a spray plume kept the tree leaves overly moist.  The 2017 and 2019 google images show these trees (replacements) still stressed.  The trees along the Greenwich Street side of the site, the portion with the greatest percent of paving, have also not grown nearly as well as the rest of the trees.

It is important to note that the soil for these trees is all highly process light weight soil mix.  To say that the process of design, detailing, construction, phasing etc of these trees and their support systems, is likely the most complex in the world is actually an understatement.  So this is not a good example of typical anything.

The World Trade trees are a  great experiment none the less, but with so many variables, not to mention a political shroud around speaking critically about the project, will make it impossible to ever draw any conclusions.

Jim Urban