[CANUFNET] oak planted in tire

Ron Carter rondcarter at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 23 23:47:47 EDT 2019

Hi Pat. For a commemorative tree it sure has been neglected and subjected to
harsh treatment. So sad.

I'm writing from Vancouver Island where the Garry Oak is the only native oak
in western Canada. We also have some amazing English Oak, many of them
planted commemoratively during Royal Visits. Both species are members of the
White Oak family as you probably know. The English Oak grows fast out here,
probably twice the rate of a Garry Oak. If the Bruce Station tree was out
this way I would suggest trying to improve the cultural conditions around it
immediately by removing competitive plants, ie grasses and mulch to optimize
the tree's ability to produce absorbing roots while you are frost free
(almost all winter long here on the coast) and then in the spring at the
first sign of new growth do one of two things: a) Cut every bit of dead off
back to live wood no matter how drastic you have to be or; b) as I would do
here to an English or Garry Oak tree in that condition, cut it down entirely
at first sign of spring growth and hope there is enough energy in the
juvenile wood at the base to push up some basal suckers that can then be
selected out to the strongest stem and allow you to grow a new tree. The new
basal sucker tree would outgrow the tree that exists currently. Perhaps out
your way you might consider doing the above suggestions in stages. Improve
rootzone, prune heavy, watch it over the growing season and if it shows
improvement, cut it down the following spring.

Ron