[CANUFNET] Cities that successfully increased tree canopy?

Jeremy Cantor jeremycantor at planitgeo.com
Mon Dec 16 18:49:38 EST 2019

Grace,

As Ian said last week, we have seen a number of communities achieve a gain
in canopy in time spans ranging from 5 to 15 years:

   - Washington, D.C.: +.9%
   - Snoqualmie, Washington: +2.4%
   - Colorado Springs, CO: +2.7%
   - Dallas, Texas: +3%
   - Mississauga, Ontario: +4.2%
   - Salem, Oregon: +5.3%
   - Shoreline, Washington: +6.4%
   - Windsor, Ontario: +7%
   - Mercer Island, Washington: +7.8%
   - Woodinville, Washington: +8.7%

Many of these are either in locations/climates that are prime for tree
growth or are prairie developments where new housing adds trees that were
never there. In many other cities, especially in eastern North America,
growth in cities often involves clearing trees and declines in canopy
cover. Washington, D.C. is a great example of canopy growth due to
extensive local planning and planting efforts.

<https://www.planitgeo.com/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/plan-it-geo/?viewAsMember=true>
<https://twitter.com/planitgeo2012>
<https://www.facebook.com/PlanItGeo2012/>