[CANUFNET] Tree "Sexism" in Canada: Call for information & thoughts

Sadia Butt sadiabutt.ca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:01:56 EST 2020

Hi Ally, I am sure you may have received enough. Based on the definition
below, I was going to focus on the part that says unjust distinction based
on sex. So I am concerned that the word sexism can be too heavy when
describing the bias society has when making tree selections and implies
some level of criminality. When it comes to tree attributes, there are
clearly some tree characteristics that people do not like as they damage
property, cause smells (ginko biloba), aggravate those who have allergies,
etc. These disservices are what people use to discriminate against trees
for certain planting sites. So discrimination does happen, but is it
unjust? From my experiences from listening to homeowners and the tree
planting department and experts urban forest managers, these planting sites
are close to driveways (where people are averse to damages to their car
from sap or fruiting bodies or damage to their driveway),  pools, roofs,
roads, parking lots and even backyards where pets could be at danger (there
was a call to our office regarding a walnut tree, where an owner was
concerned it would drop its seed onto its dog). I have learned these
preferences for trees are based mostly on property protection. I believe we
also tend to become highly risk averse and do not open ourselves to enjoy
many species because of the reputation they may get that leads to those who
grow trees to avoid. So a simplistic business approach to producing only
trees that are 'safe' could also contribute to reducing the choices we have
to plant trees in places where they may not cause damage to property.  I
certainly hope that there isn't an insidious movement to discriminate
against female trees, just because they are 'not male'. That would imply
utterly disingenuous characters who make those decisions and frankly would
be disheartening.
Further to this topic, there is a researcher named Darren Patrick who does
discuss our biases towards trees. Below is an excerpt from an introduction
of  "Urban Forests, Trees, and Greenspace: A Political Ecology Perspective",
It might help the exploration of social constructions and how they may
influence our notions of non-human groups.
Best regards, Sadia

"Darren Patrick questions the conventional view of one particular tree, the
Tree of Heaven (*Ailanthus altissima*), as an invasive weed species by
considering the species in three different relationships. In one case, the
High Line greenspace in New York City, where the Tree of Heaven was once
abundant and existing in harmony with particular human ecologies (a gay
cruising area), developers and city planners replaced the tree with an
ordered and disciplined ecology as the neighbourhood gentrified. In the
case of Detroit’s Tree of Heaven Woodshop, the creators found ways to
create a mutualist relationship with the tree, acknowledging its beauty and
utility by finding ways to cure its wood for different ways of wood-making.
In a third case, the “Ghetto Palm”, two Moldavian artists use the now
ubiquitous and cursed yet resilient Tree of Heaven to challenge its
monikers as bad species and imagine it as a challenge to alien species and
invasive biology concepts globally. Patrick uses the term “queer” both as a
noun to denote marginalized humans and non-humans, and as a verb to reveal
the social constructedness of their marginalization and the possibilities
to re-imagine that position."

Definition of sexism

Main Entry: *sex·ism*
Pronunciation: [image: primarystress]sek-[image: secondarystress]siz-[image:
schwa]m
Function: *noun*
*:* distinction and especially unjust distinction based on sex and made
against one person or group in favor of another; *especially* *:* distinctions
made against women
- *sex·ist*  /[image: primarystress]sek-s[image: schwa]st/ *adjective or
noun*