[CANUFNET] comment re Urban Forestry

Alice (Personal GMail) alice.casselman37 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:04:51 EDT 2020

interesting from my historical perspective !
As an teacher who helped develop outdoor curricula and start outdoor education programs and residences
The programs cover all disciplines ages and abilities
We tried many Canadian universities but they wanted it for their discipline - not across the areas we wanted
So we looked for a way to set up a Master of Outdoor Education  program

Northen Illinois had a great well known  program for a Masters on their Taft Campus
We eventually went on to hire these US professors to come here on weekends in outdoor ed centres and billeting the professors
so many of us signed up and graduated having spent some time on their campus in summer

Now Environmental Studies and Sciences - as a separate specialty can cover all aspects of learning outdoors

I therefore recommend that Urban Forestry - be a separate degree - so that all aspects can be covered under one area
and shared with other subjects specialities as appropriate  - e.g.some field work , training may overlap
The other subject area leaders may not “fit” some urban forestry topics or events or workshops into their program

Dealing with private lands, levels of policy and bylaw, fences resolutions etc etc not to mention species selection for planting and protocols for maintenance,  monitoring and reporting to track success will be special learning in urban forestry.
Alice

Alice Casselman
Founding President
(905) 891-6004

Website 🌳 Facebook 🌳 Twitter
With your support, we empower communities to monitor, measure, mitigate, and
adapt to the impacts of climate change.

Donate today, for climate’s sake.