[CANUFNET] Amending soil for tree planting

Corkum-Gorrill, Jessika jcorkumgorrill at charlottetown.ca
Mon Aug 31 09:44:52 EDT 2020

Hello,

I'm reaching out for input based on experiences shared. Putting compost or purchased soils in holes where trees are being planted has never been my practice as I've understood that this won't encourage roots to grow outwards and may cause them to become root bound in their amended holes.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this? What are others doing that is giving you success?

Thanks!
Jessika

Jessika Corkum-Gorrill
Forest and Environmental Officer

City of Charlottetown
PO Box 98, 199 Queen Street
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
C1A 7K2
902-629-4122
jcorkumgorrill at charlottetown.ca<mailto:jcorkumgorrill at charlottetown.ca>
www.charlottetown.ca<http://www.charlottetown.ca/>

The City of Charlottetown continues to take steps to proactively reduce the spread of COVID-19 and mitigate impacts on municipal services, as the health and safety of residents is our number one priority. The City of Charlottetown's Administrative Offices, including City Hall, MacAleer Drive City Works Garage, Charlottetown Police Services, and the Planning and Heritage Office reopened to the public on Monday, June 1 with business hours between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Residents looking for municipal services are encouraged to visit our website at www.charlottetown.ca or call our main switchboard at 902-566-5548 (Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) to be directed to the appropriate department. Alternatively, we encourage you to connect with our staff directly via email https://charlottetown.ca/contact_us. A drop box is available inside the vestibule located in the main entrance at City Hall (199 Queen Street), with slots available for Planning documents, tender applications, and bill payments/mail. For Utility bills and other payments, staff will accept debit, credit card or cheque, and payments will continue to be accepted online. Your continued patience and understanding is appreciated as we navigate through this pandemic together.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the City of Charlottetown. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.