[CANUFNET] Implementing a Tree Protection Policy in Prince Edward County, Ontario - looking for Cost-benefit examples

Jennifer Gagné gagne.jennifer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:39:01 EST 2020

Hi all,

I am part of a Natural Cover Working Group in Prince Edward County, Ontario
(formerly Ad Hoc Tree Policy Committee). Last year, we developed a Tree
Protection Policy for all public trees and private trees on development
sites. Development is increasing rapidly in Prince Edward County and many
large trees are being removed on private and public land, so it is very
timely that this policy gets properly implemented.

There has been a fair amount of push back from County staff and
Councillors, specifically for the cost implications, such as the cost of
replacing public trees at a 1:1 ratio or having an arborist/urban forester
on staff. The working group believes that these 2 items are crucial to the
success of the policy, but unfortunately, the non-market values that we
describe as positives for the implementation don't work for all of us.

So my question is to those people who were involved in preparing or passing
a tree protection policy - how did you communicate the importance of
investing in replacement (at the very least) or getting a dedicated staff
member? Did it work? Was it an incremental process?

Would love to hear from you all, especially those in more rural areas.
Please note that I would like to take your specific responses to Council,
so if you are uncomfortable with being named, please let me know and I will
mark your response as anonymous.

For those of you who aren't familiar - PEC is a fairly rural area, with
small towns, farmland, new developments and it is also a big tourism
attraction, because of its wineries and beaches.

Thank you so much. Your input is so appreciated.

Jennifer Gagné, MFC
I.S.A. Certified Arborist