[CANUFNET] Implementing a Tree Protection Policy in Prince Edward County, Ontario - looking for Cost-benefit examples

Jim McCready jdmccready at rogers.com
Wed Dec 16 12:26:52 EST 2020

Good Day Jennifer
The Town of Carleton Place is not rural but with the four lane coming from Ottawa develop is going rapid in the Town. We have a Urban Forest Advisory Committee who reports to Council.
Since the Ice Storm we have worked closely with Public Works , and Planning. For public trees no tree can be removed during development. Tree Preservation Plans identifies these trees and developers must protect these trees during development.
We have removed a number of public trees due to EAB. The Town has Guidelines when a public tree is removed they are replaced 1:1. This past year we replaced 38 trees with 70mm trees of the Committee’s choosing.
I am the chair of the Urban Forest and we have other foresters,planners etc. that sit on the Committee and give recommendations to staff and Council. Sometimes you have a Brown Council and sometimes a Green Council.
We have tried for a number of years to get an arborist on board with little success as a small town like ours usually has other priorities. What we are doing at the moment is training a staff member in Public Works who I work with on the tree issues in Town. He is interested in trees and going to write his exam for a Certified Arborist when he feels he is ready. This was the best we could do in our small Town
Give me a call if you want to discuss further.

Jim McCready R.P.F./ Certified Arborist

Sent from my iPad