[CANUFNET] Trees and Capital Construction

Corkum-Gorrill, Jessika jcorkumgorrill at charlottetown.ca
Wed Feb 17 14:14:08 EST 2021

Hi Crispin,

A fairly recent change for us is to have an urban forestry staff person at the table with Planning when reviewing streetscape projects that will have City-owned and Heritage tree impacts (or opportunity for enhancements!). Also, in addition to the public tree bylaw, the City's Construction Site Management bylaw outlines the need to protect City trees in a Construction Management Plan. We don't have anything formalized for capital project tree replacements and assess on a case by case basis, asking for anywhere from 1:1 - 3:1 replacement ratio. We are in the process of working with MNAI on a natural asset inventory. The hope is that once we have this we can be better equipped for protecting and enhancing the city's green infrastructure.

Take care,
Jessika

Jessika Corkum-Gorrill
Forest and Environmental Officer