[CANUFNET] Trees and Capital Construction

Julian Dunster jadunster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 14:33:30 EST 2021

In Saanich, the parks staff managed to get the engineering section on
side and any planned infrastructure upgrades that may affect a public or
private tree come up for review by external consulting arborists. It
works quite well. I get a set of plans with the upgrade designs. I visit
the area and compare planned works to site conditions, write up a report
with recommended actions for each tree conflict, and in some cases, I am
on site to supervise the work as it takes place. Most of the worker bees
in design and on site from the engineering section, are now well aware
of tree issues and are very open to comments and help to work around the
trees.  That being said, this is not something that I commonly see in
other areas, so Saanich may be ahead of the game here. Now if I could
get urban planners on side as well.................

jd

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech
www.dunster.ca