[CANUFNET] Urban Forest management Policies

Sylvain Martel smartel at newwestcity.ca
Tue May 18 11:15:03 EDT 2021

Hello everyone

The City of New Westminster is working in developing operational policies to guide our arboriculture operation. Our current practices are that trees growing on city land are to be maintained exclusively by our arboriculture team or a contractor hired by the city for that purpose. However, we find some grey areas when the subject trees are straddling property lines (i.e. boundary and shared trees), are located within an unopened laneway, or are inaccessible due to private property encroaching on city land. I would like to know how other municipalities are handling the above noted situations and if there are any written policies in place to assist city arborist in decision making?

Thank you in advance for your comments in this matter,

Sylvain Martel | Senior Arborist
T 604.527.4625 | E smartel at newwestcity.ca<mailto:smartel at newwestcity.ca>
[cid:image005.gif at 01D4F5D1.B3F9CE90]City of New Westminster | Parks & Recreation
newwestcity.ca/rec<http://www.newwestcity.ca/rec> | [Title: FB, IG, TW:] @newwestrec<https://www.facebook.com/newwestrec/>