[CANUFNET] Inquiry regarding tree size and tree establishment

Julian Dunster jd at dunster.ca
Thu Jun 3 18:46:57 EDT 2021

My experience out on the west coast is that the bylaw requirements are
often too large and lead to more failures than necessary (possibly
related to pleasing politicians who want an instant landscape and fail
to understand tree biology).

Conifers at the 50 cm to 1 m height range are easy to replant, they come
out of transplant shock fast and then add on new increment rapidly if
watered and weeds are suppressed. The required 2 m or 3 metre trees are
ball and burlap, have lost upwards of 80% of their roots prior to
planting, and have a much higher failure rate, or they go into major
transplant shock and may take 5 to 10 years to recover. By which time
the smaller trees have outgrown them and are stronger, healthier and
better adapted trees. The same applies to deciduous trees on many sites.

The larger trees only survive well if then can be found in a larger pot
or with a large root ball, have any girdling roots removed before
planting, are planted in good soil with good soil nearby (not just in a
piddly little planting hole surrounded by well compacted crap), and are
well watered for at least 5 years after planting.

On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

North American distributor for Rinntech
www.dunster.ca