[CANUFNET] Looking for some help

Mark Carroll environment1st at rogers.com
Thu Jun 24 21:43:51 EDT 2021

Thanks Alison
This is the information I am looking for. Pictures and places that can be used as positive examples of what could be.
This will show those who make the decisions what has happened else where.

Sent from Rogers Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu., 24 Jun. 2021 at 12:59 p.m., Alison Bond<abond at envision-tatham.com> wrote:   #yiv5505300926 #yiv5505300926 -- _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv5505300926 #yiv5505300926 p.yiv5505300926MsoNormal, #yiv5505300926 li.yiv5505300926MsoNormal, #yiv5505300926 div.yiv5505300926MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv5505300926 p.yiv5505300926MsoPlainText, #yiv5505300926 li.yiv5505300926MsoPlainText, #yiv5505300926 div.yiv5505300926MsoPlainText {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv5505300926 span.yiv5505300926PlainTextChar {font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv5505300926 span.yiv5505300926EmailStyle19 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv5505300926 .yiv5505300926MsoChpDefault {font-family:sans-serif;} _filtered {}#yiv5505300926 div.yiv5505300926WordSection1 {}#yiv5505300926
Hi Mark,

I agree with Michael.  Your road needs to change if you want space for trees.  It’s not a light undertaking and will involve engineers and landscape architects.

You could add bumpouts at intersections.  They will provide end caps to the parking lane.  They also shorten the pedestrian crossing distance at an intersection which makes the crossing safer.  These bumpouts can also be used mid-block to create pedestrian crossings.  [Public Works and snow plow drivers won’t like them but if they designed the world, it would be a pretty miserable place.]

See images below: top image is parallel parking… you are getting a small planter with room for a small tree.  You’d want to expand the soil rooting volume through some kinds of soil cell.  You could also redirect catchbasin water to the soil cell.  Bottom image is where you have angled parking so the spaced gained for pedestrians and trees is greater.

There can also be an argument for a ‘road diet’, where you narrow the lanes (presuming that yours are generous) to a minimum so that you can regain some boulevard and space for trees/tree canopies.

BIAs and their concern with trees blocking signage are common.  I think you have to frame it as creating a destination.  A hot sidewalk along a four-lane road is uncomfortable and not conducive to a pleasant shopping experience.  Dappled shade and the enclosure that trees provide makes for a much more comfortable and charming environment.

Regards,

Alison

Alison Bond BSc MSc BLA OALA CSLA

Landscape Architect and Certified Arborist

ENVISION-TATHAM Inc.

115 Sandford Fleming Drive, Suite 200, Collingwood, L9Y 5A6

abond at envision-tatham.com I Tel: 705.445.0422 I Fax: 705.444.2327 I Cell: 705.994.2059 I www.envision-tatham.com

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.