[CANUFNET] Looking for some help

Alex Satel - UFI asatel at ufis.ca
Fri Jun 25 09:30:03 EDT 2021

Mark,

If you haven’t seen it yet, you may find the City of Toronto’s “Tree Planting Solutions in Hard Boulevard Surfaces: Best Practices Manual” of interest. Check out: https://issuu.com/dtah/docs/iii-iv_best-practices-manual_append

The manual explores various options (not just soil cells) for effectively integrating trees into urban streetscapes, and also considers questions like maintenance, etc.

You should definitely also invest in a copy of James Urban’s Up by Roots. It’s from 2008 but I think it’s still the gold standard for these sorts of questions. The DeepRoot blog also has some really great articles; you can spend lots of time getting down various rabbit holes and it’s all good stuff.

As to some of your specific questions – I’ve jotted just a few quick thoughts in your original email below, in bold. Just a starting point. Obviously, addressing a lot of these questions will depend upon the Town’s budget for the downtown core revitalization project, but investing in getting the tree situation right will certainly pay dividends.

Cheers,

Alex

Alexander Satel, MFC
Urban forestry and arboricultural consultant
ISA Certified Arborist ON-1353A
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified (TRAQ)

Urban Forest Innovations, Inc.
1331 Northaven Drive
Mississauga, ON L5G 4E8
T: (905) 274-1022