[CANUFNET] Trees and boulevards

Amelia Needoba amelia at diamondheadconsulting.com
Fri Oct 1 14:26:22 EDT 2021

Hi Ian,
We see a lot of different standards among communities with and without boulevard planting strips and the outcomes really vary. In new subdivision construction, the removal of topsoil affects long-term tree growth potential on both the private and public realm side. The road construction standards are focused on compacting soil to remove air voids and making it more difficult for water to flow through and the drainage standards are focused on taking the water away from the site quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately, our objectives for creating site conditions to grow trees are often at odds with the engineers' standards.

To add to the debate, I don't think there's a universally observable performance outcome for each approach - other than garbage soil in, garbage tree out. Either approach can succeed or fail so soil standards and enforcement are critical. The monolithic sidewalk may be simpler to implement at the construction stage but there are trade-offs. I think in the end it's a matter of the character you're going for.

Boulevard strip
Monolithic sidewalk
Pros

  *   Shade over street and sidewalk
  *   Enables formation of uniform avenue planting character
  *   Pedestrians buffered from roadway
  *   More of a defined public realm

  *   If public ROW is narrow so boulevard is <1.5 m, then best to have tree adjacent to private yard
  *   Creates a more mixed streetscape outcome if the informal character is preferred
Cons

  *   To be effective, construction standards must actually provide soil in the boulevard and enable root egress under sidewalk (with structural soil or soil bridge) and standards must be enforced (otherwise you end up with road base underneath, a few cm of topsoil and buckled sidewalks after 10 years). Minimum width of 2 m is recommended because services often end up in the boulevard.

  *   People often think of the blended public/private boulevard as their private space, more often refuse the tree planting or remove the tree - it's harder to get that continuous public tree planting
  *   Trees grow over property lines
  *   Usually public servicing will still go in at the back of the sidewalk because they don't want to put it under the sidewalk, then private servicing goes in and often eliminates the planting space on the private side, or the tree ends up planted on top (this is always going to be a problem on small lots with a driveway because they don't want servicing under the driveway)
My opinion

  *   For new subdivision designs, ensure that the public realm ROW is big enough to provide at least 2 m of planting width, preferably in a boulevard strip with a soil bridge to the yard side or to the next planting area, or if that's not possible then go with monolithic and planting at the back of the sidewalk. Enforce the boulevard/landscaping standards for soil volume and try to require topsoil retention and reuse.
  *   If it's a small lot subdivision, create the boulevard strip because the yards will be too small for a good sized tree and servicing. We only get one shot to create the public realm in green field developments and it seems shortsighted to accept a narrow ROW.
  *   In older areas where trees are growing well, do everything you can to prevent complete road renewal and keep whatever is left underneath.

Winnipeg old and new development styles
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D7B6AE.34BBB300][cid:image006.png at 01D7B6AE.34BBB300]
Calgary
[cid:image008.jpg at 01D7B6AE.EFA3C090][cid:image007.jpg at 01D7B6AE.EFA3C090]

Trevor Thistle's observation of older neighbourhoods ring true for me. The soil wasn't removed in older parts of cities and even with a lot of compaction over time and loss of pervious cover, trees can thrive if the underlying soil structure is suitable (see the image spread below of plane trees from 1888 to 1945 to 2013). If your trees are growing well, do everything you can to prevent full road renewal!

[IGA_11_1_2013_17_3_20_419][cid:image002.jpg at 01D7B6AD.4ECA30B0][cid:image004.jpg at 01D7B6AD.4ECA30B0]

Amelia Needoba | Principal | PMP, ISA Cert. Arb (she/her)
3559 Commercial Street | Vancouver | V5N 4E8
Diamond Head Consulting<http://www.diamondheadconsulting.com/> P 604.733.4886<tel:604.733.4886> ext. 233 F 604.733.4879<tel:604.733.4879>