[CANUFNET] [EXT] Re: Trees and boulevards

Lyford, Cabot Cabot.Lyford at vancouver.ca
Tue Oct 5 11:04:07 EDT 2021

In Vancouver and other larger municipalities, we have made progress incorporating soil volume specs into our Engineering standards.  We often solve this using “engineered soil” – aka structural soil (we’re not supposed to use that name) and/or silva cells.  Some developers just do it, others resist.  The money is there with real estate markets these days.  You can solve a lot of things with enough money.

A current struggle for us right now is getting new buildings set back sufficiently that there’s room for existing or new trees.  That, and the ongoing issue of engineers’ and planners’ rosy expectations of what you can build in proximity to trees and still keep them healthy.  We have tons more educational effort ahead of us.

Regards,
Cabot Lyford
Arboriculture Technician
Vancouver Park Board