[CANUFNET] ash tree question

Alex Satel - UFI asatel at ufis.ca
Wed Nov 3 10:51:48 EDT 2021

Hi Lorraine,

As far I can tell, some of the bigger wholesale nurseries (e.g., Connon/NVK, Winkelmolen, etc.) don’t even list ash trees for sale anymore, although they do seem to still be available from some other sources (e.g., Dutchmaster). So I guess that answers the consensus question! :)

There have been some recent promising findings<https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-find-genes-to-save-ash-trees-from-deadly-beetle-that-is-expected-to-kill-billions-of-trees-worldwide/> of genes that may someday be selectively bred/gene edited into ash tree nursery stock to confer EAB resistance, but I think the day we see “EAB resistant” trees in the nursery is still a long way away (if it ever comes). While regional EAB populations do decline as they eat through the readily-available food sources, there will probably always be enough ash regenerating through stump sprouts and seedlings to keep a baseline EAB population going. There are also natural controls (parasitoid wasps, woodpeckers, fungi, etc.), but I don’t think EAB will ever be fully eliminated to the point that ash trees can be planted without concern for infestation and mortality.

As such, I think anyone currently planting ash trees would be setting themselves up for disappointment down the road – planting a young tree only to see it succumb just as it reaches some stature! That or they would have to commit to ongoing treatment, which poses its own issues.

As much as we’d like to see ash trees making a comeback, I would advise against planting them for the time being.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alexander Satel, MFC
Urban forestry and arboricultural consultant
ISA Certified Arborist ON-1353A
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified (TRAQ)

Urban Forest Innovations, Inc.
1331 Northaven Drive
Mississauga, ON L5G 4E8
T: (905) 274-1022