[CANUFNET] ash tree question

Andrew Almas andrew.almas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 15:17:19 EDT 2021

Hi Lorraine,

Based on the conversations that I have had with numerous municipal
employees in southern Ontario, I would say that there is nearly a consensus
that planting ash trees is a waste of resources given the extremely high
mortality due to EAB (within 6 years of infestation, more than 99% of the
ash trees are dead (Klooster et al. 2014; Knight et al. 2013), and I think
many of us are still feeling some PTSD from seeing so much of our
urban canopy destroyed in such a short window of time.

There is another intriguing point of view which has been espoused by some,
such as University of Delaware entomologist Doug Tallamy in his 2020 book
"Nature's Best Hope" that we should continue to plant ash and retain
non-hazardous ash both on public and private property as a means of
retaining ash based aspects of our food web (for instance, insects which
can only be found on host ash trees), but also to identify and maintain
natural resilience so ash trees may thrive in the future. I recognize that
this is a difficult scale of objective to manage when making site specific
planting decisions, but it is an argument against policies such as you have
outlined in the City of Toronto which takes an extirpation approach to ash,
which if expanded to all Ontario municipalities, counteracts any attempt at
identifying natural resistance. The challenge of course is that
realistically there is almost never going to be resource-based support for
planting something which has a less than 1% chance of surviving once
infested.....

I hope that helps to 'muddy the waters'!
Andrew

--
*Andrew Almas*
Assistant Professor of Teaching