[CANUFNET] ash tree question

Mark Carroll environment1st at rogers.com
Thu Nov 4 07:42:31 EDT 2021

The Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville is not planting Ash Trees. If you can still buy them in the nurseries, this may be a bad purchase. We have had some of our stumps grow back and then get hit by the EAB within 3 to 5 years after sprouting. EAB is very similar to Chestnut Blight. Neither effect the root systems and affected trees or dead trees will sprout back. This is why neither specie has been put on the endangered species list. At this time, do not buy or plant Ash Trees.
Just asking, you are not getting mixed up with Mountain Ash trees?. Mountain Ash are not "Fraxinus" or "Ash Trees".

Mountain Ash "Sorbus" are part of the Rose family while Ash "Fraxinus" are part of the Olive Family.
Hope this helps....

Sent from Rogers Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed., 3 Nov. 2021 at 10:24 a.m., Lorraine Johnson via CANUFNET<canufnet at list.web.net> wrote:   Hi all,
Apologies if this question has already been addressed by the group.
I'm wondering whether or not you are recommending (or advising against) the planting of ash trees in Ontario at this time?
I'm aware that some municipalities (Toronto, for example) have bans on the planting of ash trees on City-owned property, but my question relates to recommendations for private land-holders.
Ash trees are still for sale at nurseries. Should people plant them or not in Ontario?
I'm assuming no, but wonder if there is consensus on this.
With thanks in advance for your thoughts,Lorraine JohnsonToronto, Ontario