[CANUFNET] Optimal Tree Health Condition Rating

Julian Dunster jd at dunster.ca
Thu Jan 6 16:44:07 EST 2022

Bonjour Bruno

I think you are looking for a suggested health rating. Using the word
target may be confusing as that is usually reserved for the target of
concern in the event of failure. I am not sure there is such a thing as
a suggested health rating that can be equitably applied in all cases.
Many of us use a very broad scheme: Good (no obvious problems of
concern), Fair (some problems but none of them too serious right now,
but a downward trend is likely), and Poor (obvious problems that the
tree will not overcome and mortality is likely sooner not later). I try
to avoid splitting it down into really fine components because they
never ever work in every situation, most of it is very subjective, and
it can change quite rapidly.   I really don't know what the percentage
figures would tell you (I am assuming that you did not mean percentage
of canopy cover). With climate change (prolonged summer drought and heat
domes year after year) overall tree health in urban and rural areas is
trending downwards very rapidly on the west coast, especially on
Vancouver Island.

Yours sincerely,
On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

www.dunster.ca
www.treelaw.info