[CANUFNET] Optimal Tree Health Condition Rating

Alex Wick alex at cascadiacarbon.com
Thu Jan 6 16:21:12 EST 2022

Bruno,

First, you need to decide (or if you've decided already, elucidate) the
percentage scale you mentioned: i.e. is the "percentage" the chance
of surviving 1 year more, 10 years more, a measure of vigor, % of optimal
growth for that species under specific location and soil conditions, etc.
Front here, you can seek to improve it, but even then, I'd recommend
against developing a "target percentage" instead, seek to incrementally
reduce the mortality rate, while realizing that a couple of hot summers can
significantly affect tree health and mortality rates.
For the average citizen, it's easier to "bin" trees using a Likert scale
(i.e. 1-5), with 1 being dead or imminently dying, and 5 being perfectly
healthy.

Hope this helps, and happy to discuss further.

Sincerely,

*Alex Wick, *CEO
Forester/Founder
Cascadia Carbon