[CANUFNET] Municipal Tree Risk Assessment Policies

Julian Dunster jadunster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:37:46 EDT 2022

In very general terms what is being discussed is 'what is a person
supposed to do once they have been notified of an issue?'

In legal parlance this would be the concept of  "knew or ought to have
known."  Providing a person notification is 'actual notice' as opposed
to 'constructive notice.' How any one person responds after receiving
actual notice is variable and up to that person.

Outside of Quebec, common law in Canada provides local and provincial
governments with an opportunity to use a policy or Anns defence so it is
incorrect to assume that they must always do something. They do what
they can within the scope of the applicable policy or bylaws.

It is all described in detail in the book Trees and the Law in Canada.
www.treelaw.info

Yours sincerely,
On Behalf of Dunster and Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd.

Dr. Julian A Dunster R.P.F., R.P.P.., M.C.I.P., ISA Certified Arborist,
ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist # 378,
ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
Honourary Life Member ISA + PNWISA

www.dunster.ca		www.treelaw.info		North American distributor for Rinntechwww.rinntech.info