[CANUFNET] FW: Municipal Tree Risk Assessment Policies

Andrew Almas andrew.almas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:56:16 EDT 2022

Hi Jack,

This is a really fascinating discussion, so thank you for bringing it to
this forum! Here is some anecdotal fodder....
I am not a lawyer, nor am I a municipal worker, but I have had experience
with hazard trees on private property which have public targets.
Personally, I was told by my home insurance company (who I was contacting
to ask for compensation to have a hazard tree removed) that because I had
commissioned an arborist report for my tree and the tree was found to be an
imminent hazard (Douglas fir that had been topped 30 years ago right next
to public street) that if the tree were to have injured someone that they
would not cover a claim against me from that person. In my opinion the
question of negligence is really pertinent given that the tree itself
looked fairly health, but I have knowledge of arboricultural practices and
could see some alarming signs with the tree, where most homeowners would
not have. Had I not commissioned the arborist report then the insurance
company (based on photos I sent them) claimed that they WOULD have covered
a claim against my property - which is fairly backwards.

Furthermore, the city where I reside (in BC) did so much as to come out and
measure exactly where my tree was on my property because I claimed that it
appeared to sprawl over onto the public property (they measured and said
no). There was no discussion from their end about hazard/risk or liability
other than to say that anything I was going to do required a tree removal
permit.

Here is a relevant statement from Julian Dunsters website (referencing his
"Trees and the Law in Canada" book:
In broad terms, the issues will focus on Standard of Care (Chapter 2. Legal
Principles and Concepts) and Foreseeability (Chapter 6. Negligence,
Foreseeability, Tree Damage to Property and People). In Quebec, see section
8.7.4 Inevitable Accident and Issues of Foreseeability in an Injury. The
injured party will have to show that, on a balance of probabilities, the
tree was clearly defective prior to failure, and that the owner knew or
ought to have known of its condition and taken the appropriate steps to
prevent it falling down and causing injury. Each case will have its own
specific circumstances to consider and may well require special expertise
to investigate the matter. Typically, that will be a forensic investigation
of all the available evidence, a detailed review of the standard of care
expected, what actually happened, and an opinion about whether or not this
met the standard of care. Such work is almost always done by experienced
consulting arborists who have the range and depth of experience to conduct
these investigations.

Best,
Andrew

--