[CANUFNET] Normes de =?iso-8859-1?Q?s=E9curit=E9_concernant_l'excavation_et_les_arbres_/_Safet?=y standards for trees and excavation

Michael Richardson mrtree at kos.net
Thu Nov 24 12:49:34 EST 2022

In the province of Ontario H&S is primarily under the Ontario Occupational
Health and Safety Act.  Excavation would be regulated under the O. Reg.
213/91: CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS.

The over riding duty of an employer is Occupational Health and Safety Act,
R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1 Sec. (2) Without limiting the strict duty imposed by
subsection (1), an employer shall,
(h) take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the
protection of a worker;
and specifics with regards to excavations are 213/91 Part 111, where there
is nothing about trees but walls of an excavation shall be maintained such
that they are not a hazard.

The balance between tree preservation and worker safety clearly falls on
the  side of safety and those responsible for safety have a far higher
burden than those responsible for the tree.  Should a tree be preserved
due to the beliefs of the Forestry Department the persons responsible for
the excavations will still be held responsible for an accident as they are
ultimately responsible for the job.

The question I have for the forestry staff is other than an "opinion that
given the species and DBH of the tree, and the distance and nature of the
excavation, the stability of the tree wouldn't be compromised" has any
investigation been done to determine where roots are, what size they are,
and what will be lost?