[CANUFNET] Normes de sécurité concernant l'excavation et les arbres / Safety standards for trees and excavation

pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com pwassenaer1022 at rogers.com
Thu Nov 24 13:27:17 EST 2022

Robert,

This could be a scenario where an instrument guided pulling test could help.
Pull the tree before the root cutting to establish the baseline stability of
the tree and then pull the same tree to the same load after and see if the
reactions are different. The resultant stability after root cutting can be
modelled with the data collected during the test. That way there is no
longer guessing, you know if the tree is stable or not and if not, what
crown reduction may be required to achieve a reasonable safety factor.

I am a member of the SAG Baumstaik group in Europe, an association of tree
risk experts , many long time practitioners of the elasto-inclino pulling
method initiated by Lothar Wessolly and Gunther Sinn. I have been doing
these pulling tests in North America since 2004 and have done over a 1000
tests.

If there is going to be a one-sided straight line excavation we often talk
about the critical distance being 1.5 X DBH. Any closer and stability will
likely be compromised. Outside that at 1.5 x dbh you still have a
significant proportion of the anchorage-associated structural roots and the
tree may well stay stable. The affect on the future health of the tree is
another matter and the loss of soil volume, fine root system and good
rooting space may be a significant matter that also needs to be factored in.
This is the arboricultural consultant side of things, not for the engineer
to decide

But of course it all depends on the specific arrangement of the structural
roots on the tree you are interested in. In an urban situation there may be
no roots in some directions and then an unexpected mass of roots in another
location.

We do need to stop the engineers from taking “simple” and drastic measures
to work around a tree. We can identify the constraints and they can work
with them. Its just easier, and historically what they are used to, to just
cut the tree and get it out of the way
but we know that it is not simple and
that when they cavalierly cut down the tree, the community loses a
significant asset and will not be able to adequately replace it for many,
many years
if at all. I doubt the success of much of the proposed
compensation planting I have seen over the years.

The engineers are amazing at solving problems and finding solutions
when
there is a gas main they have to work around it and they do. Maybe we need
to call all structural roots “gas mains” to get their attention. Then they
will carefully and successfully work around them.

If we don’t stand up to the engineers, they will keep the straight line
thinking mentality forever.

Since the tree pulling test is an engineering based approach, we have often
had success talking to engineers with our data. They speak the same language
then.

Maybe this might help?

Cheers,

Philip