[CANUFNET] Suspension of Fleming College courses related to Urban Forestry, will this impact our Urban Forests

Peter Wynnyczuk peter.wynnyczuk at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 29 15:02:05 EDT 2024

 Hi Philip,
The gist of the correspondence I saw is:
    * international students caps by the federal government,
    * one I am not clear on ,"elimination of educational private
partnerships",  was this mandated to be dissolved by  level of
government?
    *  program reviews were accelerated and in review of the Government
of Ontario direction, keeping courses/programs "that they will support
as well as consider labour market demand, regional needs and
demographics".
    * all current courses are to be completed with their current
enrollments
    * other factors, not in the correspondence are likely reduced
enrollment in these now suspended programs.

I sense this now requires the Arboricultural/Urban Forestry industry to
step up and voice their concerns to the College. There is an online
petition as noted elsewhere.
This may be a start, by the petition. but timely correspondence from all
Urban
Forestry/Arboriculture/Landscaping/Architects/Planners/Lawyers/Engineers
with their  related associations and councils could be critical to the
discussion noting the number of participants in our industry, the
breadth and scope of the players involved and future expectations of
attrition and expected participants, along with the current gaps
As mentioned earlier as more attention is being paid by municipalities
to the Urban Forest by Polices and Bylaws we need competent and
qualified participants to carry the torch for the discussion on trees
Hope this helps.
Peter