[homeles_ot-l] FW: COME DOWN TO CITY HALL MONDAY JULY 9TH

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri Jul 6 15:32:10 EDT 2007

FYI – second of two emails on community participation at Monday’s Council
meeting on the Draft City Strategic Directions.

Lynne Browne
Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness
147 Besserer Street, Ottawa ON  K1N 6A7
613-241-7913 x 205, lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca

From: Shellie Bird [mailto:cupe2204 at on.aibn.com]

Greetings

Imagine Ottawa met last night to plan for a presence at City Hall Monday
July 9th 12:45 as Council hears presentations from the public on the
Draft Strategic Directions Report

We want to make our presence known and so have planned a fun and
visually exciting press event and we hope you can come out.

At 12:45 p.m we want to hang the Open Letters (those collected so far)
on a cloths line and deliver our key messages (see below) about the
Strategic Directions and then we will have 5 people who will read the
Open Letter as a "Lament to Ottawa 20/20" against the backdrop of
drummers pounding out a lamentful beat! These folks will also get on the
speakers list and will present together again each reading a small part
of our Open Letter and the 7 principles of the Ottawa 20/20. We hope to
place Council Chambers out and to send a message that citizens are
paying attention to what is going on at City Hall. We also again want to
encourage you to get on the speakers list by calling 613-580-2424 ext
28136 - even if it is only to read from the Open Letter the more we
raise our desire to return to the principles of the Ottawa 20/20 (see
attached) the better for us, our city and the services we both deliver
and use! See you there.

Key Messages to deliver:

Key messages:

Bad consultations
Inadequate process
Not a democratic process
Closed doors meetings, at first
No meaningful community input to our city's direction
Concerned about some of the proposed solutions to the city's needs
Concerned about the impacts of more privatization, contracting out and
"public private partnerships"
Where is the environment?
Let's start with the positive vision of Ottawa 20/20?
Where are the positive features of Ottawa 20/20?
We have to get the right tools for the job
Let's upload services to the province
Let's get some progressive tax reform in place
Let's grow our budget for a growing healthy city

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:36 AM