[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: ISAC Action Alert - Demand details on Poverty Reduction Strategy in Throne Speech

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:58:03 EST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
et

 ISAC ACTION ALERT:

Tell Premier you want more details on his Poverty Reduction Strategy in the
Throne Speech

Please take two minutes to let the Premier and MPPs know that you will be
watching the Ontario Throne Speech on Nov. 29th for more details about the
Liberal's commitments on poverty reduction.

Cut and paste the message below into an email or create your own message.
The Premier's email address is:  dmcguinty.mpp.co at liberal.ola.org

Make sure to send a copy of your email to Minister Deb Matthews, who has
been charged with heading up the government's efforts on poverty reduction.
Her email address is: dmatthews.mpp at liberal.ola.org.

And, don't forget to send a copy to your MPP as well. You can find their
email address by going to
http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/members/members_current.do?locale=en. You can
find what electoral district you are in by going to Elections Ontario's
postal code search at
http://fyed.elections.on.ca/fyed/en/form_page_en.jsp?channel_id={923146e7-4d81-42a8-99f0-e61f5ab50387}&lang=en<http://fyed.elections.on.ca/fyed/en/form_page_en.jsp?channel_id=%7b923146e7-4d81-42a8-99f0-e61f5ab50387%7d&lang=en>

This message is part of a broader campaign which a number of anti -poverty
organizations are undertaking to keep the pressure on the provincial
government to keep their commitment to reducing poverty.

There will be an Op Ed on this theme in the Toronto Star later this week.

--------

SAMPLE EMAIL MESSAGE

Dear X,

As a supporter of efforts to end poverty in Ontario, I look forward to
hearing further detail in the November 29th Throne Speech about your
government's commitment to a *Poverty Reduction Strategy for Ontario*.

I will be looking to hear more about the government's dedication to poverty
reduction and your plans regarding: *targets*,* consultations, policies* and
*resources*.

As we know from other jurisdictions, setting and tracking *targets* is
critical to following through on good intentions. Many in the province have
called for poverty reduction targets of minimum 25% in 5 years, and 50%
within the decade.

I also look forward to hearing about your plans to *consult* with Ontarians
about what should be included in a poverty reduction plan. Low income
people, community and civic leaders, policy thinkers, and business
representatives, all need to be involved in discussions about the kinds of *
policies* that will make a difference.

Start with the principle that a hard day's work should equal a fair day's
pay, through minimum wage increases and stepping up the enforcement of
labour standards.

Give families real income security by bolstering the newly created Ontario
Child Benefit and providing adequate systems of support for those who cannot
work full time.

Make affordable housing and quality child care top provincial priorities,
and ensure that everyone in our society has real access to medical and
dental care.

Finally, good intentions and a great plan will remain stalled unless backed
by significant *resources*.

I will be listening to the November 29th Throne Speech as an important
signal of the Ontario government's commitment to fulfill your election
promise to make poverty reduction a priority in this mandate.

Yours sincerely,

[your name and address here]

Dana Milne
Provincial Organizer
Income Security Advocacy Centre
425 Adelaide St. W., 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C1
Tel: 416-597-5820, ext. 5151
Toll-free: 1-866-245-4072

Fax: 416-597-5821
Email: milned at lao.on.ca
Website: www.incomesecurity.org

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a